Visual Design Best Practices for Conservation
Since communication is critical to conservation, we’ve pulled together some tips to strengthen your understanding of visual design as a tool for effective and impactful communication.
Key pillars of design are outlined in a one-hour webinar aimed to improve your design work or help you work effectively with a designer. A few of these best practices are summarized below to help get you started.
Start with the foundation
- WHAT are you trying to do? Know your desired outcome.
- Identify WHO (the audience) you’re trying to reach.
- WHERE are you designing for (context and culture specific to place)?
- These questions are the heart of your design piece. All creative choices you make stem from these.
The goal with anything is to capture your audience’s attention
- You want to get them to stop.
- You want them to read.
- You want them to take action.
The Four Pillars of Design (to capture your audience’s attention)
- Choose the right piece (and possibly a unique format).
- Good design is dynamic and compelling.
- Good design is good organization.
- Good design moves people to action.