Mentored Course: Wastewater Pollution
The Wastewater Pollution Mentored Online Course is designed to help marine managers understand how wastewater pollution threatens ocean and human health and what strategies and solutions are available to mitigate wastewater pollution in the ocean. This course provides direct mentorship to managers and practitioners as they take a self-paced online course that incorporates new science, case studies, and management practices described in the Wastewater Pollution Toolkit.
Lesson 1: Wastewater Pollution Impacts and Treatment Systems – introduces how wastewater pollution enters the marine ecosystem and the effects of certain pollutants on human and marine life. This lesson also provides an overview of commonly used wastewater treatment systems, including centralized and decentralized wastewater treatment systems.
Lesson 2: Addressing Wastewater Pollution – describes an approach for developing a water quality monitoring program to help identify wastewater pollution; and how nature-based solutions, improvements to treatment system technologies, and new resource recovery systems can improve wastewater treatment and the quality of water. This lesson also provides guidance on how to collaborate and communicate with stakeholders and other groups to mitigate ocean wastewater pollution.
November 1 – November 24, 2021
- October 12 – November 1: Registration open for mentored course.
- November 1 – November 24: Online course open to participants.
- November 1 at 5:00 pm EDT/11:00 am HST: Orientation webinar.
- November 18 at 5:00 pm EST/12:00 pm HST: Closing webinar.
- November 24: Course completion date (participants need to complete assessments and surveys to receive a certificate).